If you don’t prepare properly for the trip, then moving
with pets can be a quite difficult task that can cause unnecessary stress and emotional
experiences for the animals. Of course, you do want to keep the animals healthy
There are some things that must be done before the
trip. You must definitely check the health of animals before moving. Also, be
1. Few days before moving start to gradually decrease
the everyday food ration.
2. Try to accustom the animal to the transportation
bag/cage. Put one your pet’s favourite toys and a soft rug inside the cage to
encourage the pet to stay there. Piece of owner’s clothing inside the cage can
also provide the feeling of comfort to the pet, so the pet will feel safer in
the cage during the day of moving.
3. Before putting the pet in the cage and leaving home,
take the pet for a walk and also repeat this shortly before the flight
4. Each airline can have different pet transportation
regulations in different countries for different pets. Check the regulations
beforehand in the particular airline, embassy of the particular country or in
the company, which will carry out the transportation of your pet.
5. The transportation cage must meet the airline
standards and must be large enough for the pet to feel comfortable during
6. Book the direct flight and consider the air
temperature. In summer periods it is recommended to select evening flights when
air temperature is lower but in winter periods select the day flights.
7. Particularly high or low temperatures can be the
reason for prohibiting transporting the pets. Not due to temperature in
airplane, because it has climate control, but due to the sharp temperature
fluctuations between places of departure and arrival.
8. Remember – if it will look as if your pet is ill,
he won’t be allowed to be registered for the flight.
9. Don’t give too sedative medication for the pet
before the flight, because sleeping pets also aren’t allowed to be registered
for the flight.
10. Don’t feed the pet before the trip - hunger will
not cause so much stress to the pet as being locked in a cage next to his own
stool. However, it is very important to provide water for the pet during the
flight, but the airline will take care about that.
11. If you have planned to stay in the hotel, verify
if the hotel allows pets.